was a traditional Salish camping area, with its beach and exposed
westerly view, gives it a fine outlook.
was pre-empted early by European settlers, who were involved in
an unfortunate murder in 1882. In turn, the land was deeded to
the defending solicitor, who named the place Belcarra, or fine
land with sunny view, in his native Irish Gaelic.
summer cabin was subsequently built. In time more cabins were
built, and the local ferry company built a pier, park and campsite,
Point was government naval reserve, and was thus saved from
area is now a beloved regional park. Belcarra adjoins several
islands, and so it is a favourite spot for boaters.
Bay and Sasamat Lake also are nearby, increasing the appeal.
Village of Belcarra, incorporated on August 22nd, 1979.